About Me

I am a wife, mother and grandmother. I am a Christian and try to live as Jesus did.

Monday, July 3, 2023

The All-American by Susie Finkbeiner

I really enjoyed this book. It was a look at how the threat of Communism affected people in the USA, Michigan in particular.

The story is told from the viewpoints of two sisters, one a high school teen and the other a 10-year-old elementary school girl. The story goes back and forth, one and then the other. It is well written and these two girls are pretty well fleshed out. The supporting characters vary in their depth. The story flows well. The editing was very well done. 

The two negative points I have are 1. This is sold as a Christian book by a Christian book publisher but the only thing remotely Christian is that they pray at meals and attend church. It is a clean book but for me, it's a stretch to call it Christian. 2. I did not like the ending. There was an epilogue but it did not address both sisters. I felt there were loose threads that needed attention.

Overall, I give this a 4 out of 5-star rating, even with the negatives. I was given an ARC through the Revell Reads program. I am not required to leave a positive review, only my honest opinion. This is my own, honest review, all thoughts are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment