About Me

I am a wife, mother and grandmother. I am a Christian and try to live as Jesus did.

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Something Worth Doing by Jane Kirkpatrick

This book is a fictionalized biography of the suffragist Abigail (Jenny) Scott Duniway. She was on a wagon train from Illinois to Oregon in the 1800s. Her mother died and she had a great influence on Abigail. 

I enjoyed the first half to three-quarters of the book, but after that, it just seemed to run on and on. It didn't seem to change very much and I felt that a lot of the book could have easily been eliminated. A lot of it felt more like a history book of details and not truly a story.

The main character, Jenny, seemed like a very self-centered person. Her whole goal in life was to make women equal to men. This isn't a bad goal, but it seemed like it was put above everything, including her family.

The characters, in general, were not deeply developed. Abigail/Jenny was more developed than the others but even her character seemed shallow.

I thought this was going to be a Christian book since Revell is the publisher. I would not call it a Christian book at all. In fact, I was totally offended by Abigail continually saying "Holy cow chips". Only God is holy. Pray or church was rarely mentioned and I would not consider Abigail to be a Christian by the way she was developed in the story. This is my opinion and others may not feel this way at all.

Overall I would give this a 3 out of 5-star rating. I probably would not recommend it to anyone unless they were wanting to learn more of the Northwest's suffragist movement.

I was given this book to read and review through the Revell Reads Blog program. This opinion is fully my own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment