About Me

I am a wife, mother and grandmother. I am a Christian and try to live as Jesus did.

Saturday, January 28, 2023

The Maid of Ballymacool by Jennifer Deibel

 I have enjoyed the books by Jennifer Deibel and this one is true also. I enjoyed the book but I will only give it a 3.5 our of 5-star review. 

This book was given to me to read and review through the Revell Reads program and this review is my own opinion, freely given. First, I enjoyed the story itself. I did figure things out about mid-way through the book but still enjoyed reading to see how Ms Deibel was going to work it out in detail. The book is Christian without being preachy. It shows how the main characters rely on God for guidance. The story flowed quite well and the 3 main characters were quite well-developed.

What I didn't like was the use of the Irish language without any way to understand what was being said. Sometimes the answer was in English and you could figure out what was said, but too many times that was not true. I did find at the back of the book a list of words and phrases and their meanings. This was NOT helpful as 1, it was at the end of the book and I was reading on my Kindle, and 2, even if I had known it was there, who enjoys stopping their reading to look up the meaning, not me. Also, this book still needs a bit more editing. I was surprised by this as her other books were well-edited. Hopefully, the editing issues were just because I read an ARC version.

Overall, I would recommend this book. I did enjoy it, even if I had to figure out the meaning of the Irish phrases.

No comments:

Post a Comment