About Me

I am a wife, mother and grandmother. I am a Christian and try to live as Jesus did.

Monday, June 15, 2020

Stories That Bind Us by Susie Finkbeiner

I have always enjoyed the books I've read by Susie Finkbeiner and this book is no exception. The story is easy going and on the bland side, but that is not a criticism but that it is not action-packed.  It shows what a regular family is like when bad things happen. The main character, Betty, goes through a couple of really bad experiences in a very short time and this story shows how she deals with the situations and how her family helps her.
The story is set in the early 1960s, in lower Michigan. I can relate to these descriptions as I live near the areas described. I understand the background and surroundings.
This is a Christian book, but it is not preachy in any way. It shows how a Christian woman uses her faith to get through rough times. It also shows how weak our faith can be at times.
Towards the end of the book, there were a couple of historical happenings that were incorporated that I felt could have been left out. I felt like they were added to lengthen the timeline of the story but were not really needed. This is my biggest criticism of the book.
The editing was very well done. This is very important to me as poor editing can ruin an otherwise good book.
This review is my own, personal opinion and I received this book through the Revel Reads Blogger program. A positive review is not required. I give this book a 3 out of 5-star rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment