About Me

I am a wife, mother and grandmother. I am a Christian and try to live as Jesus did.

Sunday, January 6, 2019

We Hope For Better Things by Erin Bartles

I requested a review copy of the book through Revell Reads and was granted it. I am writing this review on my own. All opinions are mine.

The book is very unusual and is divided among three main characters and how their lives are similar and yet different. It also deals with racism then and now. It is partially a historical fiction novel and partly modern times. The story goes from one era to another quite well.

The characters were well developed and you felt like they were real people. The story captured my attention from the very beginning and it was one that I didn't want to put down. The editing was also very well done. It is important to me to have it flow well and the grammar and punctuation be correct.

But, and this will take away one star leaving it as 4 out of 5, the story is supposed to be a Christian novel. Not one of the main characters was a Christian or at least a practicing Christian. In the whole book, I would guess, only two or three minor characters would truly be Christian. It did not show anyone's faith but more the lack of faith. It did not address these issues but left them. I enjoyed the book, but I would not recommend it to an unsaved person because if I were unsaved and read this, I would not see any benefit in becoming a Christian. If it were sold solely as a novel, not a Christian novel, I would have not problem recommending it to an unsaved person. Read as a Christian, it was a disappointment that so many opportunities were missed.

All in all, I did enjoy the book and would recommend it to a limited number of my friends. I give this 4 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment